July 17, 2010

Fun Analyzer - Give it a go and Report the Results to Us:)

Check which famous writer you write like with this statistical analysis tool, which analyzes your word choice and writing style and compares them with those of the famous writers.

Any text in English will do: your latest blog post, journal entry, comment, chapter of your unfinished book, etc. For reliable results paste at least a few paragraphs.

http://iwl.me/


I write like
Stephen King
I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

Isn't it interesting that the the analyzer identified a writer located on the east coast of the USA.
There are only about 250mi between our birthplaces.  That's really a drop in the proverbial bucket when calculating US distances.

Wait until my sister learns this interesting piece of trivia - Stephen King is her favorite writer.  Obviously she enjoys being scared beyond belief on a regular basis.  She'll probably respond with "you've been a nightmare in my life ever since Santa gave you the Barbie dressed in blue and me the one in pink."  I'll never hear the end of that traumatic experience in my sibling's life:)
                                                                    *****
UPDATE: Explanation from 'I Write Like' Blog: How “I Write Like” works

“Actually, the algorithm is not a rocket science, and you can find it on every computer today. It’s a Bayesian classifier, which is widely used to fight spam on the Internet. Take for example the “Mark as spam” button in Gmail or Outlook. When you receive a message that you think is spam, you click this button, and the internal database gets trained to recognize future messages similar to this one as spam. This is basically how “I Write Like” works on my side: I feed it with “Frankenstein” and tell it, “This is Mary Shelley. Recognize works similar to this as Mary Shelley.” Of course, the algorithm is slightly different from the one used to detect spam, because it takes into account more stylistic features of the text, such as the number of words in sentences, the number of commas, semicolons, and whether the sentence is a direct speech or a quotation.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
July 18, 2010: 1,483,036 texts analyzed so far
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Toronto Star on "I Write Like" →

“Clearly, I Write Like isn’t an exact science. But the idea that an algorithm can reveal traces of influence in writing has proven wildly popular. It would have been a useful tool back in 1996, when Primary Colors, a novel about the 1992 U.S. presidential election, was published anonymously.

After months of speculation English professor Donald Foster identified journalist Joe Klein as the author through an extensive literary analysis. Klein admitted it was true.

                                                                      *****
IF Richard does become Stannis Baratheon in Game of Thrones, the red priestess Melisandre will definitely make their scenes fascinating...
http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/43870-melisandres-secret-agenda/

9 comments:

Musa said...

Stephen King! Maybe Richard should be warned! :):)

He's a bestseller and very popular writer though.

I came out as David Foster Wallace and I had to look him up. Will have to read some of his writings now.

Violet said...

Submitted one post written in the style of Chris Ryan´s Strike Back (You´ve been a Bad, baad girl, Violet) and it came out as James Joyce. I hoped for Chris Ryan!

Ricrar said...

haha Violet. That was a clever experiment of yours;) Thought of submitting a few paragraphs of Geo MM Martin's Game of Thrones. The results of that one would be interesting.

I've added writer Stephen King's signature to the post below w/Richard's etc. It was fascinating to observe that Stephen's handwriting is somewhat similar to RA's as far as the letter size and neatness traits.

Did either of you notice if there are details at that website listing the size of their archive of writers? Although, with modern technology perhaps it is possible to compare the sample with tens of thousands. Hopefully their comparison doesn't consist of a teeny tiny pool of writers:)

Ricrar said...

hahaha, Musa, my imagined activities w/Richard don't include anything macabre like those found in Stephen King's novels;) Instead, they're definitely tried & true human endeavors that have made the world go round since the beginning of time. I'd just do my dam%est to make certain they seemed quite unique to him. teeheehee...might need to take a peek at a few RA fanvids now that your suggestion managed to 'get my motor running.' HA!...as if that's difficult:)

Katarina said...

Thisis too funny.MrI write like Dan Brown according to this site.
I've just started a new blog,shere I will try to write a fiction story about some people inan office. It's allin English so feel free to check it out. And please leave a comment if you wish. I've just started with the first posting onn the blog so it's not much just yet. Please correct my grammar and the use of words if it's not correct since English isn't my mothertounge so to speak.
http://chroniclesofthekat.blogspot.com/
RiCrAr, I love all the photos of RA you post in here. they leave me wnting for more...

Katarina said...

Thisis too funny.MrI write like Dan Brown according to this site.
I've just started a new blog,shere I will try to write a fiction story about some people inan office. It's allin English so feel free to check it out. And please leave a comment if you wish. I've just started with the first posting onn the blog so it's not much just yet. Please correct my grammar and the use of words if it's not correct since English isn't my mothertounge so to speak.
http://chroniclesofthekat.blogspot.com/
RiCrAr, I love all the photos of RA you post in here. they leave me wnting for more...

Ricrar said...

Hi Katarina, will check out your new blog asap. I'm very happy you enjoy RA's photos - will shortly post more Guy pix. Whenever I imagine RA as Stannis Baratheon, he's usually a clone of gorgeous Guy:)

Judith Johnson said...

Took the test, write like Mark Twain! Whatever...........! I posted it on my Fb page, enormous hit there! Thanks

Ricrar said...

Hi judith,

Mark Twain was a very clever humorist. From now on we'll start chuckling at your posts before we've even read them;)

Are you wearing white? He's always pictured with that color suit to match his thick white hair. Believe he was born in Hannibal, MO?? Know it was a southern city.

Must check if there's a Twitter account for Twain w/his quotes.