May 26, 2010

Sky1 Forums - Give Them Feedback; Miranda Raison re Hedy Lamarr | WWII Techy & Spooks Siting - Burliness Pix

Definitely would not hurt and indeed could result in Series 2 of SB, if everyone expresses their impressions of the show at http://community.sky1.sky.com/forums/show.html?plckForumPage=Forum&plckForumId=Cat%3a668c6e82-54af-48aa-b881-a7985f433457Forum%3aa10ab218-a21d-40be-90d5-f6ce751c2d87
                                                       **********
Miranda Raison explains actress Hedy Lamarr's contribution to the WWII war effort...
Hedy Lamarr Information Pioneers
                                                    ***********
RA News:  Another Spooks siting reported on Twitter earlier today in the same general area as last time.
One of the tweets by a male reported seeing "a tall, burly bloke in black jacket" at the filming location.
WEBSTER'S : >bur'ly - adj. ME borlich, excellent, noble, handsome  1.big and strong; heavy and muscular< ...Yep, that's definitely him:)  -   Visual evidence...

3 comments:

Enrich2 said...

I used to think burly meant thick-set and certainly never thought of it as in the least sexy, but seeing the pics you've selected to illustrate the word, well, I've completely changed my mind. Burly's fine, burly's good, heck, who am I kidding? Burly is downright gorgeous. I'm loving burly. Let's have burly as often as possible, pretty please!

PS I'm up for a re-evaluation of more words in the dictionary.

Ricrar said...

The seeming dichotomy is exactly why I looked it up, Enrich. We use the word 'burly' today to represent a large man(in every way) - one who appears to have difficulty pushing himself away from the dinner table.

The dictionary definition above is verbatim although the last few words were omitted because they definitely don't apply in this particular case - they are "rough and hearty in manner; bluff".

Huh? The last words almost contradict the first.

Other footnotes for [ME borlich = altered (by assoc. with bour, bower) OE borlice, very, excllently]

DoyleMelton said...

Heya i’m for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and help others like you helped me. home maintenance guide