January 14, 2010

Richard Armitage, All Things - Lesson in Liberty & What it Requires to Succeed

One of the wisest poems ever written:

AND THEN THEY CAME FOR ME

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out - because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the communists
and I did not speak out - because I was not a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out - because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me -
and by then there was no one left to speak out for me.

Pastor Martin Niemöller

p.s. A famous person once said "all it takes for tyrrany to succeed is for good people to say nothing."


*******************************************
UPDATE on Earthquake Relief

>Roads Impassable, Port Badly Damaged and Phone Service Crippled

By KATE SNOW, DAN HARRIS and ROBIN ROBERTS

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti Jan. 14, 2010—

Relief has begun trickling into quake ravaged Haiti but impassable roads and a heavily damaged airport have left eager aid workers largely unable to get food, water and rescue workers into Port-au-Prince.

President Obama said the U.S. is launching "one of the largest relief efforts in our recent history," but he acknowledged it may be an excruciating few days before it can arrive where it's needed because "roads are impassable, the main port is badly damaged and communication is just coming on line."<

No comments: