December 23, 2009

Eve-of-Christmas Eve Message to Fans from Our Favorite Actor - Richard Armitage


23rd December 2009


Dear Friends,


Its that time of year again and I wanted to extend my goodwill and best wishes to you all. It has been a busy, rather difficult year for all of us, and coming to the end of a decade is a great time to think and gather strength for the next one.


Thank you for the continued support, which has been offered to me this year, I hope that I can continue to 'carve a path' which is both exciting, diverse and honorable to this crazy art form.


Thank you all, also, for the wonderful gifts which I have finally received after my travels abroad. I will eventually give thanks by letter. I do however, wish to ask, especially at this time of year, and this particular year, as I look at the small mountain of carefully chosen gifts purchased with those hard earned pennies; wracked with guilt when I think of the potential that your collective generosity could provide for those who have much less than I do; for you to pause and consider. I can't tell you how grateful I am for all your support and kind words, these are gifts enough, and I would like to recommend two other charities which I have chosen to support this year in addition to Barnardo's and Shelter. I would like to recommend Childline and The Salvation Army, as potential recipients of a small offering.


I have also set up a page at www.justgiving.com if you go to the site and enter my name, you can chose from the 4 charities I have mentioned, and give a small donation, anonomously, if you like or with a message. I hope this makes it a little easier and more fun.


I hope the Christmas spirit runs high through all the families gathering together, and for those who are alone, to enjoy the simplicity of a day when the our corner of the world stops for a few hours. Yes there is only one left!!!


Drink, be Merry, be kind, be thankful.


I wish everyone joy for Christmas, and hope for a happy 2010.
With love
Richard

http://www.richardarmitageonline.com/


10 comments:

Starheart said...

Such a touching message. He sounds like he needs a hug. I really hope he rests up and regains his strength before throwing himself into the next project.

Ricrar said...

Wonder why Richard referred to the past year as 'a rough one'? Unless he meant personally it was a professional grind.

In every message he tries to dissuade fans from sending gifts to him and takes pains to point them instead to worthy charities - evidently that's not as satisfactory for many of them. Very doubtful he ever even sees those gifts - would be wonderful if they'd take his advice and donate to charity.

Sounds as though Ep 8/Spooks was an emotional heartbreaker for Lucas. If series 9 has been commissioned the filming usually starts in Feb/Mar...at least it did for 8. That gives Richard at least a couple mos rest IF he takes it. He's made remarks in the past to the effect that being idle is not one of his strong points. Hubby is the same way...he thrives on a busy schedule - gets restless with too much downtime.

Starheart said...

Possibly in general it's been rough on lots of people. Struggling from unemployment - especially movie actors.

I suspect it's also a rough one because SB would be a new thing for him. It's the lead role in a very physically demanding genre - more so than Spooks proabably?

Aryanne said...

Wow, my heart melted when I read his message - he seems such a nice guy in these! And really wonderful of him to ask us to donate to charities rather than send gifts, I have never heard of anyone else doing that.

bZirk said...

What a class guy.

I love this idea! I would much rather send something to charity to show appreciation than to send him something personal. Frankly, the personal gifts have an ick factor. Oh, I know sometimes they don't and in fact can be pretty cool, but those instances are pretty rare IMO. But sending to charity has absolutely no ick factor and feels so good.

BTW, as great as Richard is, I'm taking a break for the holidays -- origin: Holy Days. :D Yep, I'm paying homage to the One I hold in esteem above all others. I hope all of you have a wonderful Christmas. Love, Lisa

Jonia said...

Merry Christmas :)

Ricrar said...

Agree with the ick factor remark, bzirk. Actually, considering all the dvds & audiobooks we've already purchased, combined with supporting RA as an actor, for me it's more than enough tribute as a 'fanatic':) That said, I do understand the 'different strokes for different folks' reality of life. Love his 'wracked with guilt' over the gifts comment. It's not any wonder why many who'd never bother spending the time on any other 'show business' type today, have been charmed by his many sterling qualities...not the least of which being 'goodwill' towards humankind in general.

RiCrAr

Ricrar said...

ragtag, aryanne, bzirk, jonia - have a very merry Christmas:)...also to anyone else who might read this.

45min until VoD....then family arrives.

Hugs & kisses to everyone :)

RiCrAr

Phylly3 said...

Merry Christmas to all who read this and Thanks ricrar for your wonderful blog! Enjoy your family time!

Mulubinba said...

I thought this message was great and totally agree with the posters above about the donations. I remember when I had just discovered RA's work, reading one of his messages stating that he would prefer people to give to charity as opposed to sending him gifts. I thought it was very cool then and I think what he has done with the JustGiving site is fabulous. (It won't stop people from sending him gifts I suspect buy it's a start).
Hope you are all having a great Christmas!