May 30, 2010

Richard Wants a Girl Who's Slightly Naughty and Loves Food---"You Called Sir?"

DRAT! it's such an inconvenience to be already spoken for and crazy about said spouse.  Where's the nearest drive-thru Cloning Salon?:)

Richard Armitage: ‘I was a beanpole with a nose I hadn’t grown into’
By: Vicki Power. 30/05/2010 Mirror Online

The sexy 39-year-old star of Spooks and Sky One’s Strike Back on growing into his looks/nose, why he’s more ‘new man’ than macho soldier, and looking for that perfect food-loving woman

You’re the go-to guy for brooding heroes. Do you like being seen as a sex symbol?
Richard Armitage: It’s quite funny – no, it’s hilarious to be considered a sex symbol. In school I was a beanpole with a nose I hadn’t grown into. Being thought of as sexy makes one employable, but it’s not going to last forever, so I try not to think about it. It’s like something that exists outside of me. [* as if we need another reason to fall ever deeper *thud*]

You certainly look hot in the dark blue suit you’ve put on for this interview[*wow, sassy woman!(more power to her)--did she actually make a move on our guy? Anyone have the low-down on Vicki?..married?aged? plain jane?...she asked w/fingers crossed]
RA: Thank you. It’s Dolce & Gabbana and the shirt is Prada, but the truth is, nearly all my other clothes are Lucas’s from Spooks. I can’t bear shopping. I can choose clothes for my characters, but not for myself. I’ve got no dress sense. Or I’ve lost it.

What appealed about your character John Porter in the Sky series Chris Ryan’s Strike Back?
RA: I thought, here’s a chance to have a crack at a man who’s not a bog-standard war hero.

 [*hmm..would love to have a conversation with RA about not stereotyping military members(war heroes) as cardboard-cutout human beings - the vast majority of them are as diversified as the general public - with the exception IMHO of having above average character & courage. Most of them already have a lovable softer side--unless my relatives are exceptions. That said, RA did a brilliant interpretation of JP]

 Porter is what Lucas wishes he could be – SAS men get to go all over the world and operate in deep cover, while in Spooks we only get to walk up The Mall and go onto a few London rooftops. Lucas would love to be shooting out of an aircraft.

Could you have been a soldier?
RA: Not a chance! I can work hard and be disciplined like a soldier, but I could never reach their level of fitness. I have a whole new appreciation of soldiers. I saw myself on screen and thought, ‘That body is so not hard enough to be a soldier.’

What sort of training did you do?
RA: I did mega-training with ex-military men. I’d be in the gym for two hours after a 12-hour day on Spooks, and it was so hardcore I’d throw up. I stuffed myself with food and drank protein shakes to bulk up. I used to be a dancer, but I had to strap my weak ankles every day and strengthen my wrists so I could hold a machine gun. My body just wasn’t up to it.

So you’re not a macho man…
RA: I’m probably more of a new man. I’m not particularly alpha. ‘Nourish and nurture’ are my watchwords as opposed to ‘search and destroy’. I kept asking myself why on earth have they asked me to play this character, rather than someone who’s really hard. But I suppose it’s because I bring something softer to the character.

You were filming in South Africa for five months. What was that like?
RA: We had a great time, although it was so hot it felt like you were in an oven. We filmed in a poor black township outside Pretoria that everybody told us was dangerous, but we’d often play football with the kids. Once we didn’t have anywhere to change and one of the locals said, ‘Come to my house.’ It was a tin shack, but it was spotlessly clean. You can’t believe it’s somebody’s home. It was so humbling.

What did you miss most about home?
RA: I didn’t miss anything. [*small wonder why she moved out..LOL..Richard would really benefit from a chat w/DH - he who hath kissed the Blarney stone twice...to my everlasting disadvantage]:)  I was so in the character, I’d dream about him at night.  [*something we have in common w/RA--dreaming about John Porter:]  Even I thought, ‘This is crazy, I’m too involved.’ I found it hard to call or Skype friends – it was almost as though I couldn’t get out of the character. I screwed up my social life a bit.  [*with a few simple words, the man knows how to instill hope in female hearts]

Speaking of which, how’s your love life?
RA: Unfortunately, my love life is nil. I’m not in a relationship any longer – I’m working too much – but I would like to settle down at some point.  [*hey! Mr relationship challenged;)... there are always coffee/tea breaks between scenes for what hubby refers to as 'afternoon delights'.  See what happens when words like 'slightly naughty' come out of Richard's mouth? It's all his fault:)...would never have mentioned them otherwise *cough,cough*]  That’s probably why I’m going to LA soon, when I’m not tied down. I feel like if you don’t try LA, then people will think you’ve failed.

Do you want a family?
RA: Yes, I’d like a wife and family. I spend so much time with my brother’s little boy, Abe, who’s coming up to five, and he’s so hilarious. Playing a father in Strike Back has really resonated with me, although I can’t believe I’m starting to get cast with teenage daughters! I’m quite relieved I don’t have that responsibility in real life, but I look around and my fellow actors are having babies and I’m envious. One day, one day.

But you’ll turn 40 next year. Isn’t about time you gave it some thought?
RA: Yes. That’s part of the problem, isn’t it, because I still feel like I’m 25 in my head. I always thought when I got to 40 it would be OK because I’d feel 40, but I don’t.

What type of girl would you go for?
RA: Someone a bit naughty.  [*uh oh, which torrid topics will those few words unleash at many RA websites? The mods will be knackered...teeheehee, first time to use that word];)   And who likes foodbecause I really do – and who doesn’t take life too seriously and has a sense of humour. I could never go out with another actor, I’d find that hard – the stresses of the job, they just pull people in different directions.

Your fans call themselves Armitage’s Army. What are they like?
RA: Over the years they’ve sent me presents and turned up at film sets, but lately I’ve kind of left them alone. I got a bit too involved and there’s an expectation from them that goes along with that.

Do you read about yourself on the internet?
RA: I decided this year not to read anything. It’s been very liberating. The problem with me is I read everything, but it’s only the bad stuff that stays with me. It’s weird, you only need to be told something once and it stays with you.

What’s next for Lucas in Spooks?
RA: I’m filming now and it’ll be a fantastic ninth series. Basically, Lucas isn’t who you think he is. It’s always been hovering there, whether or not he’s a double agent. We really miss Hermione (Norris, who played Ros). She was a very calming influence and I loved her humour.

Will this be your last series of Spooks?
RA: I’ve said to the producers, ‘Over to you. You decide.’ If that means sending Lucas to Manchester or severing his head, I don’t know. Or I could end up in the deep fat fryer. They’d owe me a brilliant exit.

What are your hobbies?
RA: I only *learned to ski five years ago, but I’m addicted to it. I went five times this season. I should have been a ski instructor instead of an actor. I also dragged my cello out of the loft a couple of weeks ago and went back to that, but I have to squeeze playing it into the hour and a half I get in the evening after work. God, I sound like such a boring workaholic.
[*He's quite an accomplished skiier..little reckless   http://sendables.jibjab.com/view/ymukK4IiX9oml4jt
How could he forget to mention figure skating...  http://sendables.jibjab.com/view/XWmTIbizvQZt33bu ]

What’s the most extravagant thing you’ve bought?
RA: A BMW hard-top convertible I bought two years ago. I love it. I know people who drive BMWs are meant to be idiots, but I drive very carefully. It’s dark grey. It’s all very conservative, isn’t it? I sound like I’m middle-aged before my time.

What keeps you awake at night?
RA: The fear of not being able to keep this career going. Because it is quite scary. It’s going well, but I worry somebody will take a pin and it will all go ‘pop!’ Then it’s back to plumbing and sanding floors. That’s what I used to do for mates between jobs.

There's more
- Richard ordered water to drink during the interview, but once he saw that we were having a tipple of white wine, he ordered some too.
- After the interview we tried to get into a screening of Strike Back but had forgotten our tickets. Richard came up and asked the usher please to let us in. Richard even jokingly invited us onstage with him. What a gent!
A sincere thank you for the above article to:      http://www.acemarsupial.co.uk/

11 comments:

Sue said...

This is the best interview by Richard yet. I certainly agree with his decision to distance himself from fans, there has to be a cut-off point somewhere.

As for a potential partner/girlfriend who is "naughty" well I'm yer gal Richard!!!I love me grub too, so no probs there either! (Sounds like we were made for each other dunnit?). None of your posh nosh though Richard, plain old grub that sticks to yer ribs, like fish, chips and mushy peas (well maybe I'd give the mushy peas a miss on account of ruining any blossoming romance if yer get me drift!)

As for him going back to plumbing, he can give my drains a good clear out any day!

Enrich2 said...

Isn't he an absolute darling in this interview! I'm even considering divorcing hubs (yeah, it would be a wrench, but life sometimes calls for tough sacrifices!) as I, too, class myself as naughty, humorous and food-loving!

Ricrar said...

Sue, hope your plumbing remark wasn't a double entendre...LOL, haha..couldn't resist;)

Mushy peas...one of the first delicacies I'd read about years back when checking a Notts website advertising the annual Goose Fair. It sounds to me like our version of pea soup - whole fresh peas are slowly simmered(about 2hours) w/a large piece of smoked ham, chopped onions/celery/carrots&spices. Is that it? or something completely different?
Read once about first roasting dry peas/beans in olive oil prior to placing them in water...it gives them a delicious nutty flavor.

Now we're demonstrating our culinary skills - as tho' Richard was about to conduct try outs for the role of Mrs A. teehee He'd definitely be pleased w/your naughtiness;) That thought should induce some scintillating dreams for you...day or night.
We should all start a new RA website entitled 'RA's Naughty Nibblers'

Ricrar said...

Enrich, you definitely qualify as a member of 'RA's Naughty Nibblers'...hot, hungry wenches that we are;) hey, maybe that's a better title for the new website - 'RA's Hot Hungry Wenches'.

Think of all the upcoming fan letters Richard's remark re a 'naughty' wife will inspire. Thousands of women trying to submit their hottest thoughts to pen&paper...the letters will be singed around the edges.

Would never do it myself,,,ahem;)
Well, maybe in draft form. haha
Feel a 'passion poll' coming on.

Katarina said...

Long Time....
My computer crashed and when I got it back it still didn't work and then 3 weeks later I'm back on the net. And then holy smokes this interview, it's not abad thing to come back to. I saw that interview on youtube where he talked about going back to the stage and I hope so. Then I will go to the UK for sure... With bib and a cover for the seat ;-)
Thanks RiCrAr!

Ricrar said...

How are you Katarina?
Yes, RA's latest interview was revealing as usual.
If his lovelife is as he said currently 'nil', it's truly his own fault:) Lord knows he could date a different hot female every night of the week if that was his desire.

Whenever RA comments on a personal relationship, it's always slightly suspect considering his fear & trepidation in the past about revealing a love interest's identity to the public. He very well might take extraordianry precautions to coverup his personal life in order to suppress worries about a 'fatal attraction' type scenario. He has already mentioned that concern more than once. Anyone under the public's microscope is wise to be extremely careful - it only takes one totally bonkers fan to cause a problem.

Sue said...

RiCrAr,

Mushy peas are something most people in northern England are quite partial to. They are simply ordinary peas but they are cooked using bicarbonate of soda to make them soft and mushy. Lovely they are too!

I must admit I love Italian and Greek food myself like you, lots of pasta and cheese, not keen on pizza though. I also like some chinese dishes, but definitely no hot Indian curries. I like to taste me grub not end up with a mouth that is so numb I can't feel my lips for hours!

I've just come home after harvesting some of my own asparagus, which is currently in season. I love to cook it in a little olive oil. How about feeding a few asparagus spears to our lovely Richard? (That should certainly get his juices flowing!)

He really sounds a bundle of fun and quite charming doesn't he?

Ricrar said...

If DH could eat only one veggie, it would be asparagus.

I grew up in the home the original immigrant generation built. The garden was filled with evergreen hedges, roses, iris, and a healthy crop of mint. Family lore has it that surrounding relatives would pluck the mint each Spring for a 'new potatoes' dish. Not sure where that recipe originated.

RA's latest interview certainly sent interesting ripples across his fan base. He seems conflicted about his attitude towards them--acknowledges the fact every actor's fortunes are somewhat influenced by the amount of attention they receive from the public, but also finally admitting that close contact causes untold complications.

He might change his tune if 'disengaging' results in fewer roles. Poor man chose one of the most challenging professions - the good that's derived is often sprinkled with a heavy dose of bad. Evidently, the only way to effectively deal with it is to develop a tougher skin.

Katarina said...

RiCrAr,
I'm just fine. Getting older and wiser, turned 25+ taxes and then some a couple of weeks ago.
I hate to admit it but this man is never far away from my toughts nor my dreams. I have got a bad case of the RA virus, and still there is no cure.
But hey, I can cook and I sure can be naughty too, so maybe there is a cure after all...
Sure good to back online.
Katarina

Sue said...

RiCrAr,

Yes I'm afraid my earlier comment about Richard giving my drains a good clear out was a naughty little quip of mine (couldn't resist! Slapped wrists!)

By the way I hope you realise that asparagus is a well known aphrodisiac so don't go dishing out double helpings to DH!!!(As for Richard well triple helpings perhaps?)

Can't wait to harvest all my many kilos of strawberries in a few weeks time. How about strawberries and Richard, topped off with a little whipped cream for afters? (Naughty but nice?)

Ricrar said...

My mother makes a dessert dish each Christmas called 'Heaven's Delight'. It's prepared w/tiny marshmallows soaked overnight in crushed pineapple. Next day freshly whipped cream is added - luscious light & fluffy concoction for the taste buds.

Your inclusion of RA w/strawberries & cream definitely deserves the title 'Sinfully Heavenly Delight';