April 29, 2010

Richard Armitage: Recent Remarks - Watch for Upcoming Poll

The following are recent remarks made by RA - which one of them surprises you most?

1. “I think the truth is, when we’re talking to the SAS guys..they had a very strange sense of humour in regards to..disaster and tragedy..I think you just have to.”

2. “Lucas is this proper soldier, whereas John is this slightly unrestrainable weapon that gets right out there and does it, and it's really nice to play the other side of it. “

3. ”..Johannesburg is at a much higher altitude than we're used to and I had to be there for about 10 days before I started working at that level. What I was trying to do was to try and create a physique that looked like it happened through working in the SAS rather than working out in a gym.”

4. “I'm the guy that's off painting and playing the cello.”

5. “..I come to life when I'm in an acting job, and that's a scary thing to have happen to you, because you think, 'well if not working as an actor then I have to die'. When you talk to any kind of artist who isn't fulfilling their art, you do kill a little bit of yourself every time you're not doing it. It is a bit of a fear; you are living slightly outside of yourself, so I was applying that to John when I was playing him. And interestingly enough, when he was out of the army and dressed as a civilian I had never really felt comfortable in the character. And it took me a while to realize it was because that character wasn't comfortable in that environment.”

6. “I suppose normal people go through a bit more of a 9 to 5 than with this job!
It is true, I wish I could kind of put it down at 5 o' clock, but I think the working day would begin at 6 and finish at 8 and then I would go to the gym for two hours afterwards and then go to sleep, sort of doing what the character was doing so I could not shake him off after 16 to 20 weeks. And even now, I still have little kind of waves of John coming in and out, but I don't see it as work. I mean it's physically gruelling and you're knackered, but when you live for that it's a very strange situation because you live for that exhaustion. It's great it's really nice.”

7. “..I'm not one of these people that can't talk to other people because I'm in my character, but I kind of do stay with the character, yeah. He's always there. It's like marinating something - you're sitting in a marinade the whole time."

8. “I am sort of itching to get under the skin of John [Porter] again because I think there are loads more stories to tell and very exciting.”
9. “Spooks is interesting because it sort of narrows what's happening [in current events] and sometimes its kind of predictive.”

9 comments:

Enrich2 said...

Artistic Richard as Claude Monet. I like the brown hair and the vivid blue of his eyes. Even the goatee looks alright here.

There is such a wealth of interviews at present in every conceivable type of magazine. Richard must be exhausted! I'm sitting here reading instead for working! He's baffled by his "towering sex symbol status"! Has he looked in the mirror? And doesn't he realise that all the thoughtful things he says in interviews just add to his appeal!

Ricrar said...

That last sentence is so true, Enrich2. It's amazing how Richard has managed to keep his ego contained in the glare of publicity. Of course, SB sets him on a plain he's never reached before...hopefully it won't adjust his modesty level, but very few humans today are not somewhat effected by the public spotlight.
There have been a few who've kept their feet solidly on the ground and RA seems to share their level-headed, grounded attitude.
The most famous is Tom Hanks--he still laughs at himself with the same self-deprecatory humor as his early days of slowly gaining fame, first in TV & then as #1 at the box office.
In which interview did Richard say he was baffled by "towering sex symbol status"?...must've missed it.

If you're interested, I'm about to post a link to a UK website where you can vote in iTV's best actor,movie, etc. Gave Harry Potter & Daniel Radcliffe my vote...if anything can encourage future film production of that level of quality, I'm all for it:)
P.S. The Impressionists pic was the scene where he realized his first wife was dying..:( Must re-watch it.

Enrich2 said...

I read about it on Annette's site at richardarmitageonline.no. She's so up-to-the-minute it's incredible. The quote is from an article in Reader's Digest. Funny, they're using a pic of Lee from Cold Feet for the cover. Little did Richard know in those days of filming in Manchester that he would go on to become a huge star and leading man!

tyme_4_t said...

just when I thought I couldn't possibly *squeeee* any louder - this article comes out...cello playing, picture painting, bicep curling, stunt making, gun shooting, contemplating, and those shoulders to bear it all!!!

Ricrar said...

Hello there Tyme:)
The painting remark really surprised me - was Richard referring to artwork or possibly his 'do it yourself' room painting;) Probably is the former, so when do we get to see some of his creations? Between narrations & selling his artwork, RA should have financial stability into his dotage--long after the sexy stubble has greyed and the piercing blue eyes have dimmed.

Did either of you notice his answer about RichardIII in one of the interviews? The interviewer asked "and you'll be behind the scenes for that project?"..his unsatisfactory;) answer was "yeah." Hopefully selling the production idea will ONLY be possible w/the stipulation he appears in one of the roles as well.

I don't take seriously RA's remark that he couldn't really operate in the capacity of SAS. Believe it's humility on Richard's part. All men have personal doubts about their reaction in the face of a ruthless enemy, BUT those with the right emotional and character strength surprise themselves at their ability to do whatever it takes to get the job done. Most say their instincts to protect their comrades becomes the over-riding force in the midst of military action. Many of my family members have survived the experience, so I've heard first hand their thoughts & feelings on the matter.
Where would the world be today without those willing to put their lives in danger for our protection.

Someone on Twitter again mentioned RA hair length preferences - that seems to be one of those perennial RA topics that everyone enjoys. See the next poll;)

MaryKwizMiz said...

I seem to remember that in one of the Impressionist interviews, he mentioned that he'd been "dabbling" in art, at least to any extent that he was familiar with brushes and palette :D
would love to see some..

Ricrar said...

TTN, one of RA's originals is the doorprize at the characters welcome party for Porter;) See latest post.

Unknown said...

Very much hope that Mr. Armitage would play the other Richard, too. If there is some intent to overcome the "hatchet job" done to Richard III by the wonderful Olivier, is there another actor, capable of the subltety required? Not to disparage Olivier - a tour de force of Shakespearean acting (albeit slightly hammy?). But.....

Ricrar said...

The history drew me into the story. RA has mentioned the fact that Richard III was the last king of one dynasty might've triggered Shakespeare's negative handling of the former's image. The Bard relied heavily on financial backing from the succeeding dynasty in order to promote his plays.